Your company, Patrician LLC, develops wireless transmission technology. Upper management has decided to move the headquarters and primary operations to Tucson, Arizona and create a disaster recovery site in a newly purchased building in Cheyenne, Wyoming.
Patrician, LLC, while most of its technology is for the civilian market, has one Research and Development unit that is developing a secure microburst technology for use in the military market. This unit is made up of many people that do not currently live in either Cheyenne or Tucson and the company has no plans to force their relocation to Tucson.
Both buildings are 3 floors in height and have approximately 150,000 square feet. As the senior CISSP, you have been tasked with designing the network solution with both functionality and usability in mind.
Further specificationscompany requirements:
1. The two buildings will be considered identical. The Cheyenne, WY building does not have to be described as it is a mirror hot site for business continuitydisaster recovery
2. There needs to be a constant connection between the buildings with no less than 32 Mbps throughout
3. There will be a datacenter on the third floor
4. There will be 100 network connections on each floor
5. There are 4 primary divisions in the company: HeadquartersAdministration, SalesCustomer support, Research and Development (this division includes the secure microburst group) and Information Technology
6. The members of the secure microburst research group that do not live in Tucson need to be able to connect to the primary datacenter at any time
7. Physical security as well as logical must be considered
8. There are file servers, database servers, corporate webservers and external sales webservers and all must have high-availability
9. All servers must have redundancy (both physical and how they are configured)
10. The solution should have a plan to verify security measures
1. You should submit network drawings showing
a. the topology of the network
b. the topology of the VPN setup
They should include the hardware (and be labeled as such) but only generally – no brand names or models, just “switch”, “firewall”, “router”, “server” and so on; any cabling differences should be noted as well.
2. You should include a paper that contains the following:
a. List any recommended cable and where it will be used
b. List the type of connection you will utilize to ensure 32 Mbps connection between sites (do not just give a medium, like fiber or copper, or just a protocol)
c. Recommend wiring closets wherever needed
d. Recommend any WAN or wireless technologies; mention and explain what topologies you used and why
e. How you will set up the servers (both physical and logical should be explained) to have
f. What logical protections you recommend
i. What measures you will take to protect against attack
ii. What measures you will take to prevent attacks
iii. What measures you will take to be notified that you are being attacked
g. Recommend and describe logical (i.e. network) traps to stop attackers
h. Any physical security measures you deem appropriate
i. What they are
ii. Where they are
i. How the remote users will connect
j. How will security measures be verified?
k. Justify your recommendations