Essay – Examining ‘Food’ and ‘Democracy
This is an essay in which you will critically analyse the nature of ‘food’ and also ‘democracy’ by comparing one example from each of the two food systems:
(i) The Industrial Food system example ie a supermarket, and
(ii) The Alternative Food system example ie you choose ONE example of food democracy in practice at individual or community level.
1-Demonstrates an understanding of the key principles and types of democracy and how these may be applied to different food systems (Industrial & Alternative)
2-Describes the ways in which democratic principles may be applied to food/ food systems in the context of public health
3-Demonstrates an understanding of the concepts of food citizenship and civic agriculture
- General assessment criteria
- Provides a lucid Introduction that relates your paper to public health issues generally
- Shows a sophisticated understanding of the key issues
- Shows the ability to interpret relevant information and literature in relation to the topic
- Shows evidence of reading beyond the core and recommended reading
- Justifies any conclusions reached with well formed academic arguments, not merely assertion
- Complies with normal academic standards of legibility, referencing and bibliographic details
- Is clearly written and logically structured with accurate spelling, grammar, sentence & paragraph construction
Back up your analysis/ arguments in the essay using the academic literature. Do not cite the Topic Study Guide.