The final will consist of analytical problems on important issues related to service design, operations management and delivery of services that students need to offer solutions for and individually critique. These problems have been designed to allow students to think of the open service eco-system and the service strategy triad dimensions to develop a deep and practical understanding of service offerings, value creation, human capital resource procurement and associated customer experiences through selection and application of appropriate approaches / tools such as the process mapping, business model canvas, customer journey maps and designing blue prints of services for ensuring sustainable service business operations.
a written review and analysis of an HBR case study in 2000 words allocated to you (Oberoi Hotels) and Secondly, you are required to research and examine industry reports on SOM over the past five years and provide a critique around issues and challenges faced by service organisation within 2000 words. All parts are to be written in an essay format using academic style writing and backed by academic evidences.
Part 1: HBR Case Study (2000 Words):
As a basic requirement, you will provide a mapping of the existing service offering, the open service eco-system, and the Service Strategy triad dimensions to develop a deep and practical understanding of the service offering in question along with value creation, human capital resource requirements, and associated customer experiences through selection and application of appropriate approaches/tools such as the Process mapping, business model canvas, customer journey maps, and designing blueprints of services for ensuring sustainable service business operations. As part of this you will evaluate and analyze the service organization and its offering and propose a solution to the problem identified in the case study. In this analyses please note any changes that may have occurred in the past 5 years of the business operation, eg. deployment of new technology to deliver services, adoption of new business model, transforming to online services from traditional services etc. Your recommended solution should take a systemic approach and should propose a disruptive business model underpinned by digital transformation, possibly using the business model canvas, if applicable. Subsequently, you will map the underlying service processes using blue print or other relevant process mapping techniques etc. In accessing your information, you can refer to the company’s website or any other published information relevant to the assignment. It will also be beneficial to use the available academic literature to establish any industry or sector trends, and have academic robustness in your arguments. Part 2: Contemporary Issues in Services (2000 Words) It is clear that we are shifting to a service-based economy. The world’s economy has been under pressure for over five years. Oil prices are at record lows, stock markets are increasingly nervous and volatile, the Chinese and Indian economies are growing, Brexit has its ramifications, and in today’s globally interconnected world this has spill-over consequences for everyone else. In response, many large firms have concluded that this is not just another economic cycle. Digital disruption, the IOT and big data analytics all mean the rules of the game have changed. Firms are looking for new digitally enabled business models that deliver customized solutions in response. Whether it’s smart health services, smart transport solutions or guaranteeing uptime, availability and output from complex equipment, the underlying themes are the same. Executives are thinking and asking:
1. As a future executive in a service and knowledge economy how will you tackle these challenges:a. How do we change the nature of our relationship with our customers, ensuring we are a trusted partner for them? b. How do we innovate our business model, ensuring that we focus on helping customers do their jobs better?c. How do we exploit digital technologies to enable this transformation?d. And how do we manage the associated risk and organizational change?
2. How would as a future service manager in the service economy design, manufacture and service in a digital world under Industry 4.0 transformation? a. How do you see the industrial digital transformation impacting design, manufacturing and future service offerings? b. What influence does Industry 4.0 bring to the service industry and the ideas it introduces? c. Describe the digital factory and our journey so far from a services perspective. d. How can you make data work better for our service organisations?
3. How can IOT and Data Intelligence enable risk management and service business growth?
a. Introducing technology such as track units, and traceability solution b. Minimising risk in leasing and operating businesses c. Creating and scaling our business models
4. Examine experiences and lessons from disruptive service business models and how that has affected the service industry:a. The importance of platforms and markets in service industry b. Creating seamless customer experience for our new generationsc. Reducing barriers to entry for businesses. Scaling service businesses across multiple cities and geographies
5. How can service organisations think of scaling Up their service business?
a. The importance of Scaling Up your Services. Challenging the types of exploration c. Drivers for scaling up services d. The role of digital disruption in scaling up your services
6. How can global and domestic partners maximize efficiency and mitigate risk through 3PLs for optimised services?
a. How one or more 3PLs can help shippers penetrate new marketsb. How 3PLs use technology to optimize service c. How to collaborate most effectively with your 3PL partner(s).
From the above listed topics, choose anyone topic and associated questions and write a 2000 word essay whilst consolidating issues, risks and challenges faced by service organisations demonstrated via industry examples, and highlight associated barriers and enablers. Further, identify areas where Australian firms — in particular small and medium firms – seem to be facing a shortfall in relevant competencies and capabilities within organisations to manage their service organisations. In this essay discuss how SOM theoretical concepts learnt in class can be applied at your workplace/life and how the future landscape of service sector ought to change in the coming 5 years?