This assessment is 50% of the overall grade
Present a critical strategic analysis of the following business activity:
Marriott’s merger with Starwood Hotels
News & Web Links
The links below provide some starting points but students MUST add their own detailed research to develop the analysis:
The coursework is an individual piece of work. It will be 3,000 words, inclusive of appendices (+/- 10%). Please note that text in diagrams or tables will count towards the word count.
The following structure is required:
• Introduction to the report
• An evaluation of the relevant levels of strategy
• A critical evaluation of the key stakeholders
• External Analysis – using PESTEL to identify and explore key trends
• Industry Analysis – using 5 Forces to critically analyse the relevant industry factors
It is important that attention be focused on a strategic appraisal of the company as opposed to providing lots of interesting facts over what interests you or what you find on the internet. Assessment will focus on students’ abilities in applying strategic models and frameworks in a coherent manner that enables them to develop a clear strategic view of the strategic position being studied. You do not need to reference many academic sources in this element of the assessment, but you must reference sources of company or market information.