1. What was the average basal plasma glucose level of the OGTT group? What was the average plasma glucose level 1 hour after consumption of the oral glucose solution? Two hours after? Create a line graph showing the change in plasma blood glucose over time in the OGTT group.
2. In the control group what was the basal plasma glucose level? What was the average plasma glucose level after 1 hour? After 2 hours? Create a line graph showing the change in plasma blood glucose over time. How does this compare to the participants in the OGTT group?
3. What are the normal fasting plasma glucose levels in a healthy individual? What does the literature say are normal plasma glucose levels 1 and 2 hours after consumption of the oral glucose solution for the OGTT? Did the values of the participants fall within this range?
4. Derek is an obese individual (BMI=31kg/m2) who has noticed that he is more tired than normal and often feels dehydrated. After visiting the doctor, who recommended performing an OGTT, Derek was told that his plasma glucose level 2 hours after consuming the 75g oral glucose solution was 10.0mmol/L. How would you diagnose Derek and why?
HLSC 2P09 LAB MANUAL 5
5. Chelsey is a generally healthy individual who is 26 weeks pregnant. She underwent a routine screening to test for gestational diabetes. After performing the OGTT Chelsey was told her plasma glucose level 2 hours after consuming the oral glucose solution was 9mmol/L. How would you diagnose Chelsey and why?
6. The OGTT is one tool for detecting diabetes. Name and describe another test which can be performed to diagnose diabetes.
7. What is diabetes? What are the different types (3) of diabetes and how do they differ from each other? Describe each type briefly.
8. What are the treatment/management strategies for patients with type 1 diabetes? Type 2 diabetes?
9. What is the purpose of the total and non-specific values in the glucose uptake assay?
10. Show the graph created from the data in exercise 2. Ensure it is properly labeled.
11. What trend do you see with the compounds being used in research (from exercise 2) compared to control? Do these compounds have potential as management/treatment strategies for diabetes? Why or why not?