Assessment 1 – Presentation and Written Assessment
Using appropriate medical terminology for paramedicine
Weighting – 30% of course total
Due Date – Monday 29th August 10am (Week 7)
Word Limit – There is no word limit on this assessment however the poster must be a single page and the pamphlet must be an A4 document in a pamphlet style (both side can be used). Please use an appropriate font size so that your presentation can be easily read.
Graduate Attributes assessed:
This assessment addresses the graduate attributes of:
• Problem Solving
• Critical Thinking
• Information Literacy
• Information Technology Competence
• Ethical Practice
Learning outcome assessed:
• Use appropriate medical terminology and drug therapy calculations as applicable to paramedicine.
As part of your everyday role as a paramedic you will be required to communicate effectively to a range of different people including patients, medical staff and other emergency services. For this assessment you will be required to show an ability to research a subject and then communicate your findings to the level of the intended audience. You are required to undertake two tasks:
1. Research a disease or illness of your choice eg. Asthma, Diabetes, etc. Create a scientific poster that would be appropriate as a learning tool for other paramedics or medical students etc. You are required to use appropriate medical terminology for the intended audience.
The poster must be presented as a powerpoint poster (templates are available through the powerpoint program), a word doc or a PDF. No image files will be accepted.
2. Prepare a pamphlet that would be appropriate to educate a patient that has no medical knowledge on the disease or illness you have chosen. You will need to use terminology that is appropriate for this person.
The pamphlet must be presented as a word doc or a PDF – no other formats will be accepted.
Both the poster and the pamphlet must include all of the following:
• Patient presentation – Signs/Symptoms that a patient suffering this condition may experience or show
• Current Ambulance Service treatment of this condition – You may choose any Ambulance Service within Australia but it must have specific treatment for the condition you have chosen. You must also include a PDF or word copy of the Ambulance Service protocol you have chosen for this part of the assessment.
• References – Wikipedia is unacceptable as a reference.
Make sure you use the correct terminology for the audience you are addressing eg. Do not use the above terms as they are written for your pamphlet – you need to change them into terms that a non-medical person could understand.
This assessment piece may be undertaken as an individual or may be completed as a small group of no more than 2 people.
If you are completing a group assessment you will need to notify the course coordinator of the member of the group at least 2 weeks before the assessment is due (no exceptions). If undertaking a group submission, each member of the group will receive identical marks – it will be up to the group to ensure each member plays an equal role. Each member of the group will need to submit all assessment items or they will not receive a mark.
Students are reminded that to achieve a pass mark in the course you will need to submit all assessment pieces and achieve a minimum pass mark of 50% for each assessment piece.
Extensions will only be given in exceptional circumstances which does not include vacations, additional work hours or an inability to manage your time.
COPY AND PASTING FROM WEBSITES/DOCUMENTS INTO THESE PROJECTS IS PLAGIARISM and is unacceptable.