Analysis of patient case presentation (30 marks)
Analyze the patient information by completing the questions below, using textbooks, websites and lecture notes to assist you with your answers. Do not plagiariseinformation from your peer’s reports or any other sources. Any incidents of plagiarism will be taken very seriously and will be dealt with according to QUT’s manual of policies and procedures. (Marks are indicated as a guide – see also the Marking rubric).
Provide a bibliography of resources used.
- a) Cystic fibrosis affects ion transport in what type of cells? (1 mark)
- b) The CFTR protein regulates the transport of a number of ions; name 2 of these ions. (2 marks)
- c) Explain why a defective CFTR gene could cause the patient to produce very salty sweat. (5 marks)
- d) What is the main diagnostic test for cystic fibrosis? What was the result in the patient’s case? (2 marks)
- a) What type of epithelium lines the conductive regions of the upper airways? (1 mark)
- b) How does this epithelium help inhibit microbes entering the lower respiratory airways and lungs? (2 marks)
- c) Why do you think the patient has had a number of respiratory tract infections? (2 marks)
- a) What is the role of the exocrine pancreas in digestion of food? (1 mark)
- b) Which nutrients are being poorly digested and malabsorbed in the patient’s case? Give evidence. (6 marks)
- c) List the 3 unusual aspects of the patient’s stools and give reasons for these observations. (3 marks)
- a) Briefly describe 1 treatment option for the patient and describe why you would use this treatment strategy for this patient. (You can consider any therapies that might help treat or manage any of the symptoms.)
|Bibliography (1 mark) References ( APA )|