You are working in a mental health organisation as a student social worker on first field education in a consumer driven service.
You are trying to determine your role within the organisation. Your organisational supervisor is not a social worker but has background in counselling, but you do have an external supervisor.
What question would you pose to her? What are some ideas around planning and managing this position?
You have been working now for 6 weeks with a group of younger people who have mental illness. You have established rapport, and you are aware that some of the other workers have lived experience but do not have any formal qualifications. They have invited you to become part of their Facebook page. How would you respond to this dilemma? What are the ethical boundaries and implication of the options?
You are in your final week in your first field education as a student social worker. When you are attending a morning tea with the team and some of the workers, a consumer that you have not met before approaches you and informs you that he/she is not taking their medication and they are feeling really depressed. What is your role here and what is your response?
If you were to reflect on a recent group experience, identify the knowledge base (theories and knowledge) and skills (interpersonal communication, crisis intervention, assessment, group work, facilitation, professional communication etc.) relevant to the above scenario.
Information as below on group experience-
1. Xxxx was the recorder as she is a visual learner and it worked out well as we all had a visual tool for the presentation.
2. Xxxx was ever pragmatic and practical person who expedited group movement by giving information to the group.
3. xxxx was the coordinator and clarified the relationships among various ideas and suggestions, tried to pull ideas and suggestions together or tried to coordinate the activities of various members.
4. There wasn’t any conflict within the group as we all harmonised well.
5. Xxxx was a summariser who defined the position of the group with respect to its goals by summarising what has occurred, pointed when departures from agreed upon directions or goals were taken, as well as asking for impute to who will present each section.
Focusing on reflective practice, you are to describe and evaluate your responses and recommendations to the case scenario. This will include identification of the process of arriving at those decisions and reflection on that process and individual learning.
You are to address all the above questions plus-
1. Demonstrate a critical analysis of presenting issues and identification of student social work roles and responsibilities.
2. 2. If you were to experience this situation, what would be your reflection? Show this by using analysing and action planning skills with relevant examples of reflective practice and link them to future learning goals within the Dept. of Communities which are child centred, culturally responsive, collaborative practice that recognises the Dept. of Communities as being supported by internal and external services and outcome focused. The learning agreement aids professional organisational and theoretical knowledge, practice skills that have been translated through the Child safety Practice Manual and values and ethics from the future learning goals.
3. What are the background issues integrating at least 2 theories that explain the situation and identify the relationship between to the scenario?
4. What would be a suitable intervention and what would be the rationale?
5. Identify the relevant practice standards and ethical requirements of a student social worker
6. Identify relevant group participation roles with insight demonstrated around strengths and weaknesses and links to learning future learning goals.
7. Your paper should provide a summary reflection and analysis of your participation and role in the group process, referring to your perceived strengths and areas for further development.
8. Your paper should identify recommendations for your future practice including specification of you will include in your learning agreement as a result of the reflecting experience.