MGT 521 Final Exam
1) When a manager makes use of a SWOT analysis, one of his or her
objectives is to
2) A company that wants to distinguish itself from the competition
in the marketplace is most likely using which of the following strategies?
3) An organization’s ________ goals are official statements of what
an organization says its goals are.
4) When planning for unexpected events, a company is using which of
the following techniques?
5) The ________ determines the number of levels and managers in an
6) Which of the following is a characteristic of an organic
7) Which of the following is a characteristic of a matrix
8) Searching for new ideas beyond an organization’s boundaries and
allowing changes to easily transfer inward and outward is known as ________.
9) Which of the following stages is when the group structure is in
place and accepted by the group members?
10) Conflicts can be resolved by satisfying one’s own needs at the
expense of others. This conflict- management technique is known as ________.
11) Which of the following statements is true about group decision
12) According to the Ohio State studies, which of the following
dimensions of leader behavior refers to the extent to which a leader is likely
to define and structure his or her role and the roles of group members to meet
goals? MGT 521 Week 5 Final
13) Which leadership theory is derived from the belief that a
leader’s job is to remove pitfalls and roadblocks so followers can achieve
their work goals?
14) If Carol Reece is a charismatic leader, which of the following
characteristics is she most likely to possess?
15) Indira Patel has been working in her organization’s computer
security department for the past 10 years. If another employee follows Indira’s
recommendations in a given situation, based on her expertise in computer
security, which source of power is Indira using?
16) Melvin manages a team of 10 employees, including Jane and Jared.
Jared is leaving the organization to find a job as a manager in another field.
Meanwhile, due to performance issues, Melvin terminates Jane’s employment with
the company. Both of these are examples of what type of employee behavior?
17) Thomas often annoys his coworkers with his talkativeness and
assertive personality. According to the Big Five Model of personality, Thomas
would be described as high in the trait of ________.
18) Kelly is interviewing candidates to fill a vacancy on her team.
One candidate has a degree from a prestigious university, and Kelly is
impressed. In speaking with her fellow members of the interview panel, however,
Kelly finds that no one else enjoyed the interview with the candidate, finding
her to be pompous, aggressive, and self-serving. In her focus on only the
candidate’s education, Kelly may have fallen victim to _______.
19) It is crucial to determine an acceptable _____ during the
comparing step in the control process.
20) If a manager rationalizes that he or she does not have time to
investigate the source of a problem and instead resorts to putting out fires,
the manager is missing the use of ________.
21) Why are feedforward controls more rarely implemented as compared
to other types of controls?
22) On Monday, Jim’s Taco Shop identified a problem with tainted
ground beef that was used to make tacos and nacho platters for its lunch
customers. If the staff at Jim’s did not identify the problem until after the
lunch rush, what type of control would this demonstrate?
23) If a firm wanted to identify how much money was being made for
each sale of a given product (above and beyond the costs associated with making
that product), what type of ratio would it use?
24) Budgets can be used as tools within which two functions of
25) The balanced scorecard measures organizational performance
against previously established standards. MGT 521 final. Which of the four
functions of management relates most closely to setting these standards?
26) During benchmarking, an organization can compare its processes
and products to competitors in its own industry and to noncompetitors outside
the industry. What is a main benefit of comparing a firm’s performance against
an organization it does not consider a competitor?
27) ________ is defined as a business firm’s intention, beyond its
legal and economic obligations, to do the right things and act in ways that are
good for society.
28) In the ________ approach of going green, organizations respond
to the environmental preferences of customers.
29) What can be said about a manager who believes she worked hard
and met her organization’s productivity goals despite unfavorable conditions?
30) Which business practice would likely encourage ethical behavior?
521 Final Exam