BCOM 275 Final Exam
1) The term channel in communication means
2) This preparation process involves looking at
the characteristics of the receivers of the sender’s message.
3) A receiver’s response to a sender’s message is
4) This act is involuntary and happens
5) This happens when you receive, construct
meaning from, and respond to the sender’s message.
6) With this type of response, you analyze or
teach the sender about the cause of his or her concern.
7) Consider the following exchange: “How do I
know God exists? How do you know he doesn’t?” Which fallacy does the second
8) Which of the following is a category of
9) A claim is generally not considered credible
10) Consider the following statement: “Morgan,
you’re down to earth and I trust your judgment. That’s why I know I can count
on you to back me up at the meeting this afternoon.” This is an example of
11) Providing only two choices when others are
available defines which fallacy?
12) Stating someone has negative features and his
claim is invalid is an example of which fallacy?
13) Audience analysis should occur at what point
in the creation of a message?
14) An effective message should be
15) Measurable or observable characteristics of
your audience are called
16) Which informal communication channel involves
its own abbreviations to accommodate the limited number of characters available
in any given message? Bcom 275 final exam
17) Sound and light waves are an example of which
part of the communication model?
18) You want to discuss your performance review
and possible raise with your boss. The most effective channel to do this would
19) When using expert testimonials, speakers
should do which of the following?
20) Which verbal support breaks down complex
processes or concepts into their component parts to ensure understanding?
21) What type of language is used when
communicating with classmates, coworkers, family, and friends?
22) The connotation of words such as skinny or
thin focuses on the
23) The individuals you are most likely to
influence with your persuasive presentation are referred to as your
24) If you try to persuade your classmates to
donate canned goods for the hungry in your community, your topic is one of
25) When you lead, instruct, challenge, or
introduce your audience to act on or accept your solution, you are at which
step of Monroe’s Motivated Sequence?
26) When you display ethos in your persuasive
presentation, you have
27) What logical fallacy can occur when a speaker
focuses on similarities and ignores significant differences?
28) Groups that value higher power distance
believe relationships are
29) Deliberately blaming individuals or groups
for things they really did not do is called
30) An attempt to characterize causes of events
to either personalities or external situations is called
31) The practice of using a case that has already
been decided as a guide when deciding new cases is referred to as
32) A value judgment requires this type of
assessment. bcom 275 final exam
33) What is the belief that laws are justified if
they prevent a person from harming him- or herself known as?