INSTRUCTIONS: THIS ASSIGNMENT IS ABOUT THE ONLINE RETAIL INDUSTRY.
- 1. Provide a narrative that introduces the ONLINE RETAIL THIS MAY BE DONE IN “TYPICAL” PARAGRAPHED EXPLANATIONS. THESE PARAGRAPHS MUST BE SINGLE SPACED AND FILL UP AN ENTIRE PAGE!!!
Here is an example of the introduction narrative:
The dairy industry is an important industry in the United States. . . (In this paragraph, draw on info from my industry description.)
With regard to the legal environment in the dairy industry, an appropriate generalization would be that the dairy industry willingly complies with a moderate number of federal and state regulations. . . (In this paragraph, present a few key generalizations about the legal/regulatory environment in your industry.)
The purpose of this paper is to explore the legal environment in the dairy industry. . .
Section I presents an overview of the regulatory environment in this industry. . . This section is important because. . .
Section II highlights two specific legal issues this industry faces. I chose two issues that are significant and interest me, given my concentration in the field of marketing. . . These two issue are. . . A review of these two issues allows the reader to see . . . The paper concludes that the dairy industry can expect a moderate amount of regulation in the future, given its past compliance and its respect for legal mechanisms to harness the good within the industry. (In this section, identify the stakeholders that you will use in analyzing key legal issues that you have described.)
(STAKEHOLDERS being shareholders, employees, customers, managers, communities, and future generations).
- 2. Then, in a NEW 2 x PAGES (ALL single-spaced), cite and describe THREEsubstantive documents (ALL of which must law review articles) that currently exist in regards to regulating the ONLINE RETAIL MAKE SURE THIS IS ALL IN BULLETPOINT!!! NO PARAGRAPHS!!!
“Substantive documents” are law review articles that are at least five single-spaced pages in length.
- 3. Then, in a NEW 2 x PAGES (ALL single-spaced), cite and describe THREEsupplementary documents that came up in regards to an ONLINE RETAILMAKE SURE THIS IS ALL IN BULLETPOINT!!! NO PARAGRAPHS!!!
“Supplementary documents” are newspaper articles.
– For EACH supplementary document used, described how it affected the ONLINE RETAIL INDUSTRY as a whole.
- 4. Log Sheet and Sources: THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT!!!
Create a log sheet (at the end of the assignment) that identifies the searches you have performed and where you looked.
Search the LEXIS and CAMPUS RESEARCH (formerly Westlaw) databases ONLY!!!
(1) A log sheet that tells me what you’ve been doing in terms of finding information (e.g., tell me where you looked, whom you called, etc.)
(2) THREE substantive documents (ALL of which must law review articles) and THREE supplementary documents that will help you write your paper. In addition to attaching the articles, also make sure you include a bibliography that identifies the author, title, journal, date the document was published, and date retrieved (if you are using information from a website).
(3) In addition, ALL of your sources must frame a potential issue that you may write about from the point of view of one of your stakeholders. LABEL these articles and identify the stakeholder’s view that that they represent.
The following is the sample/format to use for your log-sheet:
Sample Log Sheet
07/28 Searched suggested websites for substantive sources.
What I did:
- Went to Lexis/Nexis Academic. Searched under secondary literature using the words “dairy” and “regulation”
- Searched the ABI Inform Database. Searched using an advanced search using the words “dairy industry” and “law.”
08/01: Called Dairy Producers of America seeking information.
Asked for the legal department. Was put into someone’s voicemail. Left a message.
08/03: Advanced search on Business & Company Resource Center website.
- Searched under the Articles tab for information about safety regulations in the dairy industry.
- Searched the company Cloverland, a major milk producer, looking under “Suits and Claims.”