MUST USE Required Texts:
1) Katznelson, Ira, et. al. 2013. The Politics of Power: A Critical Introduction to American Government, 7th edition. W.W. Norton & Company.
ANSWER FOLLOWING QUESTIONS WITH THIS BOOK
1. In what ways is formal political power in the United States distributed and checked? What is the role of federalism and the system of “checks and balances”?
2. Discuss realignment in American elections. What is a realignment, and what have been some of the major realignments?
3. Summarize the events and developments that led to an increase in presidential power in the twentieth century. (Chapter 6)
P.191-193 and P.2052-09
4. According to our book, what are the criteria you might use to determine how democratic a country is, or to evaluate a country’s democracy? How do you think the United States is doing based on these criteria?
5. What are the main differences between social and economic regulation? What are the main similarities between them? Give examples of each kind of regulation. (Chapter 9)
6. Summarize how the Supreme Court views its responsibilities, and how this view affects the kind and number of cases it considers. (Chapter 8)
7. What is institutionalized racism? How has the US welfare system historically been an example of institutionalized racism? How has the criminal justice system been an instrument of institutionalized racism? (Chapters 8 & 10, “A Working Definition of Racism”)
8. What is the hidden or private welfare state? Explain why the text says, “The private welfare state is not really so private.” (Chapter 10)