1. How well do these two filters smooth the stock price data?
2. Compare the delay in the two methods. For both filters, how many initial output samples/data points should be discarded before a reliable indication of trend can be obtained from this output? Why is this the case?
3. Use the MATLAB freqz() function on these two filters. Do they behave as low-pass, high-pass, band-pass or band-stop filters? How does the length of the filter affect the passband region (frequencies that the filter passes)?
1. Compare the behaviour of the EMA filters with the SMA filters from part a.
2. Using these long and short-term average lines, identify the times when it would have been good to buy and sell stocks in your company. Justify your answer from the explanation at: http://www.asx.com.au/prices/exponential_moving_average.htm
3. Again use the MATLAB freqz() function on these two filters and examine their frequency responses.